This is your opportunity to learn about Erikson’s theory and apply it to your own life. The goal of this assignment is to help you develop a clear and deep understanding of each stage and how they relate to development. You will also have the opportunity to make predictions about your future development based on your past experiences.
A. Review Erikson’s Eight Stages of Psychosocial Development
Be sure that you have working knowledge of each stage of development as you will be applying these stages to your own life.
Sample Project From a Former Student — DO NOT COPY — Use as a reference.
B. Gather data about your past.
Call your mom or dad. Call other relatives. Speak to your siblings. Spend some time reflecting on your past and putting the pieces together. Look through old family photos. Do anything you can think of to gather relevant information. If certain information is not accessible, reflect on how this may affect your development
C. Write the report. PROOFREAD YOUR WORK BEFORE SUBMISSION. Refer to the rubric provided below to guide you.
Project Design– Minimum of 10 pages double-spaced which includes cover page and reference page.
1. Cover Page Include your name, date, and class information (CDEV 103; Instructor: Valerie Marquez)
2. Introduction (Minimum of 1 full page)
Provide background information about yourself, your family, and your early life circumstances that you feel is relevant to your development. Do this introduction only once.
- Erikson’s Stage of Psychosocial Development (Complete Step 3 for all 8 Stages)
- Give the name of the stage (example: Trust vs. Mistrust)
- Give the complete definition of the stage directly from the handout above.
- Indicate, with some form of graph (like the one below) and show where you see yourself on the scale for each stage.
- Describe why you placed yourself at this point on the scale. Give several examples (minimum 3) that relate directly to this stage to illustrate why you placed yourself where you did. Be sure to give enough information to support this conclusion. The examples you provide should directly correlate to the AGE range of each stage. For example for stage 1, you must provide examples of why or how you “trusted/ mistrusted” the adults caring for you during infancy, NOT how or why you trust others currently or when you were in middle childhood. This must be a minimum of one-half page for each stage.
Repeat these steps for all 8 stages. For the stages that you have not yet reached because of your age, PREDICT where you will be within each stage and why. Use examples from your life thus far to support your conclusions.
- Conclusion – Answer this question: What did you learn about yourself or Erikson’s stages of development that could be helpful in your work with children or your own life? This must be a minimum of one complete page (double-spaced.)
Include this Reference Page
Marquez, V. (2021). Definitions of Erikson’s 8 stages of psychosocial development [Class handout]. Department of Childhood Education, El Camino College, Torrance, CA.
Paris, J., Ricardo, A., D. Rymond, (2019) Understanding the Whole Child: Birth through Adolescence. California Community Colleges, Chancellor’s Office. CC 4.0 license.