You and your friend volunteer at your local library. You are planning a special program on mythology and its relevance in the modern world for a visiting group of seventh graders.
This assignment will allow you to demonstrate how effectively you can compare and contrast mythological themes common among various cultures (Course Learning Outcome #1).
Write a 525- to 700-word student handout in which you answer the following questions:
- How is the word myth used in popular culture? For example, what does the statement, “It’s a myth” mean? In contrast, how is the word myth used in the academic context?
- What are the most common mythological themes across different cultures?
- Why do myths from different cultures around the world address such similar or universal themes? Think about how myths explain the unknown and the tribulations of humankind.
- What are creation myths, and what purpose do they serve? What similar themes appear in creation myths across cultures?
- Include a reference page at the end of your handout. Use a citation generator, such as the Reference & Citation Generator in the Center for Writing Excellence, for guidance on formatting your reference list using APA format. Don’t worry about perfection. If you make a mistake, your faculty member can help, so please let your faculty member know if you have any questions.