The first step of the evidence-based practice process is to evaluate a nursing practice environment to identify a nursing problem in the clinical area. When a nursing problem is discovered, the nurse researcher develops a clinical guiding question to address that nursing practice problem.
For this assignment, you will create a clinical guiding question know as a PICOT question. The PICOT question must be relevant to a nursing practice problem. To support your PICOT question, identify six supporting peer-revised research articles, as indicated below. The PICOT question and six peer-reviewed research articles you choose will be utilized for subsequent assignments.
Use the “Literature Evaluation Table” to complete this assignment.
- Select a nursing practice problem of interest to use as the focus of your research. Start with the patient population and identify a clinical problem or issue that arises from the patient population. In 200–250 words, provide a summary of the clinical issue.
- Following the PICOT format, write a PICOT question in your selected nursing practice problem area of interest. The PICOT question should be applicable to your proposed capstone project (the project students must complete during their final course in the RN-BSN program of study).
- The PICOT question will provide a framework for your capstone project.
- Conduct a literature search to locate six research articles focused on your selected nursing practice problem of interest. This literature search should include three quantitative and three qualitative peer-reviewed research articles to support your nursing practice problem.
Note: To assist in your search, remove the words qualitative and quantitative and include words that narrow or broaden your main topic. For example: Search for diabetes and pediatric and dialysis. To determine what research design was used in the articles the search produced, review the abstract and the methods section of the article. The author will provide a description of data collection using qualitative or quantitative methods. Systematic Reviews, Literature Reviews, and Metanalysis articles are good resources and provide a strong level of evidence but are not considered primary research articles. Therefore, they should not be included in this assignment.
While APA style is not required for the body of this assignment, solid academic writing is expected, and documentation of sources should be presented using APA formatting guidelines, which can be found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center.
Expert Solution Preview
The first step in the evidence-based practice process is to evaluate the nursing practice environment and identify a nursing problem in the clinical area. Once a nursing problem is identified, the nurse researcher develops a clinical guiding question to address that nursing practice problem.
For this assignment, the student will create a clinical guiding question known as a PICOT question. The PICOT question should be relevant to a nursing practice problem and will be used to support subsequent assignments. The student will also need to identify six supporting peer-reviewed research articles.
Here is a breakdown of the assignment:
1. Select a nursing practice problem of interest: The student should start by choosing a patient population and identifying a clinical problem or issue that arises from that population. In a summary of 200-250 words, provide an overview of the clinical issue.
2. Write a PICOT question: Using the PICOT format, the student should formulate a question that is applicable to their proposed capstone project. The PICOT question will serve as a framework for the capstone project.
3. Conduct a literature search: The student should search for six research articles focused on their selected nursing practice problem. The search should include three quantitative and three qualitative peer-reviewed research articles to support the nursing practice problem. It is important to review the abstracts and methods sections of the articles to determine the research design used.
It is important to note that systematic reviews, literature reviews, and metanalysis articles should not be included as they are not considered primary research articles.
Overall, the student should follow APA guidelines for academic writing and properly cite any sources used.
Please follow the given instructions to complete the assignment. Remember to choose a nursing practice problem of interest, write a PICOT question, and locate six peer-reviewed research articles that support the problem. Make sure to use proper APA formatting and citations. Good luck!