In our work and personal lives, we need to be able to identify and analyze effective verbal and nonverbal communication in various situations. In the same way that you would analyze a work or personal life communication situation, you will be asked to create a short presentation (using media choices below) about the nonverbal communication demonstrated in a series of photographs. In addition to identifying aspects of nonverbal communication, you will also need to show how these elements can affect communication both positive and negatively. Include your observations of how nonverbal elements that you see alter the direction of communication.
- Select four of included photographs.
- Using either PowerPoint or Prezi, create a presentation that demonstrates your comprehension regarding these communication elements: Please include the following:
- A title slide including your name.
- Four slides that explain aspects of the nonverbal communication that you see depicted in the photographs. Be sure to include the photograph on the slide. Be as specific and detailed as possible in your description of body language, facial expression, physical distance (if applicable), gesture, and other aspects of nonverbal communication that you see.
- Using Screencast-o-matic (screencast-o-matic.com) or similar software, create a short video presentation of your PowerPoint or Prezi. Explain in detail the nonverbal elements of communication that you observe in each of the four photographs you have selected. Video should be between four and seven minutes long. This video should either be of the presentation itself or a hybrid video that includes both the presentation and an inset webcam video.
- Upload your video to screencast-o-matic, YouTube, or similar online video sharing site and provide a link to your video. Include your PowerPoint or Prezi with your submission.
Expert Solution Preview
As a medical professor in charge of creating assignments and evaluating student performance, I understand the importance of effective verbal and nonverbal communication in medical settings. In this assignment, students are required to analyze and present on the nonverbal communication demonstrated in a series of photographs. They will need to identify specific aspects of nonverbal communication, discuss its positive and negative effects, and observe how these elements can alter the direction of communication.
To complete this assignment, students are instructed to:
1. Select four photographs from the given options.
2. Create a presentation using PowerPoint or Prezi that showcases their comprehension of nonverbal communication. The presentation should include a title slide with their name and four slides explaining the nonverbal communication elements depicted in each photograph. The photographs should be included on the slides.
3. Use Screencast-o-matic or a similar software to create a video presentation of their PowerPoint or Prezi. The video should be between four and seven minutes long and should provide detailed explanations of the nonverbal elements observed in each photograph. The video can be either a recording of the presentation itself or a hybrid video that includes both the presentation and an inset webcam video.
4. Upload the video to a video sharing site such as Screencast-o-matic, YouTube, or similar, and provide a link to the video. The PowerPoint or Prezi presentation should also be included in the submission.
By completing this assignment, students will be able to sharpen their skills in analyzing nonverbal communication and understanding its impact on effective communication in various situations. They will also gain experience in creating professional presentations using multimedia tools and delivering a concise verbal explanation of their observations.
This assignment encourages students to think critically, observe nonverbal cues, and apply their knowledge of nonverbal communication in a practical context. It promotes their understanding of the significance of effective communication skills in the medical profession, where nonverbal cues can be crucial in patient care and establishing trust.
Overall, this assignment aims to enhance students’ communication skills and their ability to apply nonverbal communication analysis in medical contexts. Through evaluating their presentations and providing detailed feedback, I will assess their comprehension of nonverbal communication and their ability to articulate its impact on communication effectively.